The Director of Advancement Communications will drive a strategic communications program that generates support for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Housed in the University’s Office of Communications and Marketing, the Director will create and implement an integrated and multimedia communications plan that appeals to prospective and current donors, alumni and other key stakeholders. The Director of Advancement Communications reports to the Senior Editorial Director.
Advancement communications should create and improve a culture of philanthropy, elevate the University’s profile, and align with institutional needs.
The Director will collaborate with partners in the Division of Advancement in planning and creating communications that inspire interest in and engagement with the University. Director will also collaborate with colleagues in the Office of Communications and Marketing to complete projects.
The Director will be responsible for ensuring that communications to alumni, donors, prospective donors and other key stakeholders deliver a consistent, clear and compelling message about the University’s value and the impact of philanthropy.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Directing and managing projects that require collaboration from team members, and stakeholders from across the University and throughout the community.
- Developing and executing a communications plan for the University’s comprehensive fundraising campaign. The Director will work with stakeholders to communicate the campaign’s priorities through print, web and digital platforms.
- Managing a team of direct reports; inspiring and motivating them to reach goals enthusiastically.
- Managing freelance talent and vendor support to ensure alignment with goals and University team members’ activities.
- Overseeing the master communications calendar.
- Writing, editing and planning content for development and alumni communications including donor stories, newsletters and impact pieces; and coordinating content for the University College’s eNews.
- Drafting messages for University and Division leadership, including talking points and presentations that support giving and engagement initiatives.
- Collaborating with Division partners, including major gifts, annual giving, alumni engagement, stewardship, gift planning, operations and other units, on their respective communications and event support needs.
- Works collaboratively with Advancement, college and unit communicators and university leadership to ensure that alumni and donor messages, strategies and projects are well coordinated and on mission.
- Establish and support “self service” options for routine communications, especially among high-demand units.
- Overseeing new communications to internal and external audiences.
- Ensuring alignment of development and alumni communications with the University’s brand.
- Creates and monitors metrics to determine the efficiency and effectiveness of projects and priorities. Communicates metrics to leadership, and adjusts future projects accordingly.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations or a related field.
- Four or more years of professional experience in communications, including experience in development and alumni communications, preferred; experience in higher education or nonprofit communications as well as fundraising campaigns preferred.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Project and budget management experience preferred.
- Management experience preferred.
- Exceptionally versatile writing and editing skills; must be a creative thinker and problem-solver with the ability to motivate and excite various audiences through compelling storytelling and concise messaging.
- Knowledge of advancement communications best practices.
Applications: For initial consideration, please submit your cover letter, resume, and three references to the UL Lafayette Foundation, Office of Communications & Marketing by emailing email@example.com.