While many donors commonly make gifts of cash, a growing number take advantage of contributing gifts of long-term appreciated securities to support the educational goals of UL Lafayette.
Advantages of Gifts of Securities
- You receive an income tax deduction based on the market value of the security at the time of the gift.
- You avoid capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the securities.
- You can direct your gift for any purpose at UL Lafayette.
- You can fund a life income gift and potentially receive a greater income.
Valuing Gifts of Securities
The value of a gift of securities is the average of the high and low trading prices on the date of your gift. The date of your gift is determined based on how it is made.
- By mail…it is the postmark date.
- By overnight carrier…it is the date of receipt by UL Lafayette.
- By electronic transfer…it is the date the security is received into the UL Lafayette Foundation's brokerage account.
- By re-registering the security into UL Lafayette Foundation's name…it is the date on the new certificate(s).
The UL Lafayette Foundation will issue a receipt for your tax Stocks and Bonds
If the certificate(s) are held by you:
- Send your certificate(s) by certified mail or by overnight carrier, without any endorsement, assignment or other notations to the UL Lafayette Foundation, P.O. Box 44290, Lafayette, LA 70504-4290.
- Enclose a letter stating the purpose of the gift.
- In a separate envelope, using the same carrier as used with the certificate(s), send a stock/bond power endorsed in blank; that is, filling in only your signature but no other information. Your name should appear EXACTLY as it does on the face of the certificate(s). If possible, include a copy of the letter you sent with your certificate(s).
If you wish to donate only a portion of the shares represented by the certificate(s), the Foundation will complete the transaction and re-register the remaining shares back to you. In your letter, please indicate the social security number and the complete name of the registered shareholder. Please also confirm the mailing address for re-registering the remaining shares.
If the securities are held by a bank or broker:
1. You can authorize your bank or broker in writing that you wish to make a gift/transfer _____(number of) shares of ________(name of security) to be designated to the UL Lafayette Foundation for the purpose of _________________________.
Provide your bank or broker with UL Lafayette Foundation’s electronic transfer instructions, which you may obtain online at: ullafayettefoundation.org
Other information regarding gifts of securities:
The UL Lafayette Foundation tax identification number is 72-6023836.
The UL Lafayette Foundation’s legal address is:
UL Lafayette Foundation
P.O. Box 44290
Lafayette, LA 70504